Vegan Banana Bread/Muffins
This is a tried and true recipe that I have have made several times so I know and promise it turns out and tastes great every time!
2 tbs. ground flaxseed
5 tbs. water
2-3 ripe spotty bananas, aprox. 1 cup when mashed
1/3 cup melted vegan butter OR unsweetened applesauce
1 tbs. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2/3 cup brown sugar OR coconut sugar
1/4 cup plant milk (I prefer organic silk unsweetened soy milk)
2 cups flour (all purpose flour OR whole wheat flour, even half and half will work)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Optional (but suggested):
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (I like using mini chips)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease/line your loaf pan or muffin tin.
2. In a small bowl, combine ground flax and water then set aside to thicken.
3. In a larger bowl, mash banana, stir in the melted butter or applesauce.
4. Add in brown sugar or coconut sugar, plant milk, flax egg, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar. Wisk to combine.
5. I separate bowl, add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Give it a quick stir.
6. Pour wet mix into the dry and stir to combine. Do not over mix. 7. If adding walnut or chocolate chips, fold in to evenly distribute.
8. Pour into loaf pan or scoop into muffin tin, makes 12.
9. For loaf, bake 40-45 minutes. Muffins, 25-30 min. Test the center with a toothpick, if it comes out clean you're good to go.
Allow to cool before slicing.
Top loaf, made with all purpose flour, vegan butter, brown sugar. Turns out a little bit more fluffy and light with more of a glossy top/crust.
Bottom loaf, made with whole wheat flour, apple sauce, coconut sugar. Just a delicious, slightly more dense and a bit more "healthy" if that's your thing.